Today was a fun day of adventures in Tacoma. We headed out to Tacoma and arrived at the Tacoma Dome Transit Station where the only parking was on the 6th floor. Hey, we found parking so I was happy. The view was amazing.
Then we headed out to Link. We have not rode on link for quite awhile so it was lots of fun for the kids. They were also excited about going to the museum.
The view going towards the Washington State History Museum.
We have been waiting quite awhile to get the library pass to the museum. It is very hard to get your hands on. Peter and I found it there two weeks ago and we were so excited to finally get it. This museum starts at the roots of the state from Lewis and Clark visiting, the Oregon Trail, and the history forward. I was quite impressed with how much it documented and how interactive it was.
A model of the Columbia.
My great grandfather worked for the Northern Pacific railroad. I loved seeing how different areas mentioned the railroad. It truly was a driving force in our state.
Carlie is learning about her roots in logging from Rob's family.
Power is such an important piece of our history too. Hanford has been important in our families.
It was sad to see the other side of nuclear power.
We loved this. At first Rob was scared that they were not supposed to touch this propeller, but then we figured out that it gave information with pictures as you spun it. Pretty great and interactive.
Tools to build a ship. I wonder if my cousin ever uses any of these?
Dress up time.
I loved that they made sure that the Native Americans had a big part of the museum. There was so much rich history shared.
This building has amazing architecture.
Upstairs was a Great Depression in Washington State exhibit.
This towel about made Rob and I cry. Grandma Felix has made us very similar towels. I now want to know more about them.
This is some of the artwork that was on exhibit.
The police club for dealing with people during the depression.
This was a very sad part of the exhibit but very informative. A little girl died at the age of 7 and her family packed up all of her things and never took them out. They were donated to the historical society. It was great to see what a 7 year old would have done and enjoyed. The pumpkin art made me think of us doing the same thing with students now a days.
There was a model train exhibit but it was not running today.
We were amazed to find out that the museum had the original oxen that Ezra Meeker had brought across the Oregon Trail. They had been stuffed.
We then headed out to go across the bridge to the Museum of Glass. It is just gorgeous on the bridge.
Carlie wants to go to the car museum so badly. I think we will wait for Grandpa Tim for that trip.
Washington State Museum of History.
Museum of Glass
Federal Courthouse - Union Station, used to be the train station
Waiting for the Link so we could go to the Tacoma Farmers' Market.
We really enjoyed the Farmers' Market but it was very crowded. Ted then joined us for lunch at The Harmon. It was a wonderful day full of adventure and fun.



















































No comments:
Post a Comment